[Client] Better Light

Mods for installing in clients, created by the forum's talented developers.
bdew
Cart loader
Cart loader

[Client] Better Light

Post by bdew »

This mod tweaks lighting in the client

The screenshot above is for the default config, all values can be tweaked by the user.

Console commands:

lights set <variable> <value> - change config on the fly
lights config - print current config
lights dump - print all lights present in game (for debugging/experimentation)

Known issues
Effect on lights from creatures (lava spiders, etc) is a bit... limited. Will be tweaked more in the future.
Reducing any of the "normalize" variables with console command might not take effect until they refresh from the server. If you have serverpacks mod you can use "mod serverpacks refresh" command to force a refresh.

Download and source code: https://github.com/bdew-wurm/betterlight/releases

Adambean
Large cart builder
Large cart builder

Re: [Client] Better Light

Post by Adambean »

Thanks for explaining the technical details of this to me yesterday.
[22:06] Adambean: what exactly does this mod do to the lighting?
[22:06] Adambean: obviously makes it brighter yes, but in what context?
[22:12] bdéw: it makes lights range higher and can change brightness too
i'm not sure what you mean about context, but there's a config file where you can tweak the numbers and some comments that try to explain what it does :stuck_out_tongue:
[22:12] Adambean: "it makes lights range higher" that's kinda what I mean
[22:12] Adambean: more about the methodology of how it changes light, e.g. is it just flat brightness
[22:13] bdéw: there's 2 parts... one it just literally increases the range (not brightness), lights in wurms are basically spheres with no attenuation so it makes those spheres bigger
[22:13] Adambean: ok :slight_smile:
[22:13] bdéw: there's one setting that acts as a multiplier and another as a flat addition for that part
[22:14] bdéw: second part it can also scale up the RGB values which will affect brightness
[22:14] Adambean: that's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks :slight_smile:
[22:14] bdéw: and you have control based on 4 different not-really-well-defined categories of lights of each of those 3 variables :stuck_out_tongue:
Just curious to know if lighting is purely client side, or can the same effects be instructed by a server?
If the server were able to do this it would have some value to have this mod running that side instead so everyone on the server gets consistently enhanced lighting.

bdew
Cart loader
Cart loader

Post by bdew »

Server can control it to some degree... but to get those results you see on the screenshot in OP would be impossible as some of the values are higher than what fits in the network packets.

Kenabil
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Kenabil »