Bot stopper

Requests for mods of any kind, also includes tools, models, recipes and guides.
Batta
Digger
Digger

Bot stopper

Post by Batta »

On 9/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, Ildar said:
@Batta Also It is possible to create a special client authentication mod that will check the list of loaded mods and shutdown the game every time it finds unauthorized mod.
This would be really handy to have, for servers that don't allow bots (in this case, Client Helper mod). I think that bots are fine for servers that allow them, but it would be great to have a way to know if they're being used on other servers -- without the GM having to be right there watching every player for suspicious activity.

I think the only people who would object to this are those who are trying to sneak bot use onto servers that disallow it, so I don't see any harm in something that makes it impossible (more difficult?) and logs who did it.

Kenabil
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Bot stopper

Post by Kenabil »

We've tested on Awakening to use such a mod, but it requires a client mod too, and for a skilled hacker it's very easy to "pretend" to have only permitted mods installed. It worked ok, most players aren't skilled hackers and would have trouble cheating the cheat mod protection. In the end we removed the mod.

Instead we installed a macro detection mod, which reports when players are doing actions that looks suspiciously like macro actions. It also sends a recatpcha-popup asking if the player is a robot now and then, and if the player fails the popup question, some skill is points are removed from a random top skill. The macro detection mod has been actively running since May, and it practically deters macro cheaters from staying on the server.

If you find a player you suspect of cheating, there's a GM/CM command "#monitor <player> <minutes>", which will write action log messages for the player for the given time, in a log file in the "Logs" directory of your server named "monitor-<player>-<date>.log". You need to retrieve the log-file to read it. It saves a lot of time, instead of having to run around as a GM to see if players are cheating.

The macro detection mod and #monitor command, are all part of the Awakening Server Mod. You need to set the properties antiMacroHandling=true, and tweak the antiMacro* settings. And then set the property handleCommandMonitor=true. Hope this helps :geek:

Batta
Digger
Digger

Re: Bot stopper

Post by Batta »

Thanks, Kenabil, this is great info! I'll try out the mod. Sounds like just what we need.